New Site

Visit us at our new home www.peachtreecornersfacts.com

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Letter to My Neighbors

To my friends,family,neighbors, and the many customers that I have in Peachtree Corners,

On November 8, there will be a special election in which our friends and neighbors will vote on whether or not there will be a City of Peachtree Corners. I urge you all to read the Charter and to vote NO on your ballots November 8.

After reading through it myself, I realized that while I would be allowed to live(26 years so far) in the new city of Peachtree Corners, my business would not be welcomed here! The words “regulate or PROHIBIT” mean no more Goodwill, no sales of alcoholic beverages, no use of firearms (wow!), and even regulating lights and heating (we get to live in the dark and freeze?) (Section1.12(25)).

And gee, I thought this city would just barely increase our taxes: there are other sections of this charter that give the city the right to tax on many levels. Do we really need bigger government and more liberties taken away? What are we lacking from the county's services? Oh, and let's not forget Code Enforcement. Just one more way to tax. Tickets issued, municipal court dates and fines handed out by a municipal judge to be paid by the new citizens of Peachtree Corners. Hope I don't forget to bring my trash can in from the curb!

Some may say we must do this to protect us from being annexed into another city and not be in control of ourselves. If I am not mistaken, would we not have to vote to approve any annexation ourselves? If I am wrong, please let me know.  I would like to end with a quote from a neighbor:

"I don’t know if this language is “standard” in city charters--- but I do not like it.  I am tired of government telling me what I can and cannot see and do.  And some of my friends are pawn brokers. I guess this would allow them to close the Goodwill Store.  Lots of junk in there."

Please read the Charter for yourselves, and please vote NO on November 8.

Guest Poster: Ben Levinson